Too Amazing to Describe



(1) Itinerary:


Buy plane ticket & game ticket Monday morning
Deport from SFO at 10pm Monday night
Arrive at JFK at 6:30am Tuesday morning
All Star Parade from 1-3pm Tuesday afternoon
Yankee Stadium from 5pm to 2am
*(the game ended at 1:38am after 15 innings)
Depart from La Guardia at 6:30am Wednesday morning
Arrive at SFO at 12:30pm Wednesday afternoon
Got to work at 1:45pm in time to prepare for my 3:00 call


(2) The Game!





Some have hobbies. Some are fanatics. Some are band wagon fans. Some play instruments. Some curl up in a corner and read. Some spend as much time as they can under a hood of a car. Some travel to exotic places. But I am sorry, there aren't too many people (I don't know of any) that love what they love as much as I love baseball.


The All Star game was the longest in history, and I am so grateful to be a part of it. I got to sing Take Me Out to the Ball Game during the 7th inning stretch AND during the 14th inning stretch. I paused several times throughout the trip to relax, remind myself where I was, and take it all in. I witnessed Yankees fans cheering and giving high fives to hated Red Sox fans.


Even if I could write my thoughts and emotions... There is no way the words would make you feel how I felt.


You can call me crazy, but I call it passion.

10 comments:

Tyler said...

You are absolutely crazy! And you've definitely got a love of the game. Glad you got out there and back without problems.

When I heard the game went into extra innings I was glad. I knew you'd stay there as long as they kept the lights on. Sounds like you had a blast.

The Dabo's said...

That's so awesome that you went. That's a once in a life time deal.

Amy said...

That is really sweet you made a split decision to go. Jon watched the game here, and we looked for you on TV but didn't see you (sorry). I couldn't believe how many innings the game went into. CRAZY!

Brown Family! said...

That's awesome you got to go! :) Now you have to go to a Yankee game next year too in their new stadium :)

Angie said...

I am so glad you got to go. I am SO CURIOUS, however - where did you go in the middle of the night when the game was over and it was still hours until your flight? Did you head to the airport, or did you dare wander the streets alone that late?

Mitch said...

To Angie - Alone! Ha... the streets were crawling with baseball fans. If you have a Yankees hat on in the Bronx, you can wonder around for a while and have a great time.

The game ended at 1:40 am, I stayed in the stadium until after 2. I hung out at the memoribilia shops until 2:30 ish. I took the subway to the bus stop, waited with a bunch of people doing the same thing I was doing.. got to La Guardia at about 3:45... I went to the bathroom and changed clothes, washed my hair, freshened up... and went through the gate at 4:30. I actually brought the 'boppy' thing (nursing arm rest) so I could have a pillow thing to sleep on... I shut my eyes from 4:45 to 6 and got on the plane. It was fun.

Mitch said...

I want everyone to know that I went by myself... but I met friends from everywhere... where ever I went I was talking to them having a great time. Yankee fans... it's like family. Baseball fans were fun to talk to too. I had a few people ask me if I wanted a ride to the airport, but I turned them down so I could hang out at the stadium longer.

Mitch said...

I think this was the craziest thing I have ever seen Mitch do. Especially since he called me on Monday (the day before the game) to ask permission since he would be gone until Wednesday and had a long day with work on Thursday. I felt what it was like to be a single mom for a few days...with work and a kid. Tiring! But I glad that Mitch was able to be a part of history and enjoy something so important to him.

Mitch said...

The comment before was me, Jill.

jamie said...

i think it's so great that you got to do something you love so much. glad it was all you hoped it would be.