My 1st Year of Teaching High School

Hello All,

I'm not sure if anyone will even read this... but I thought I'd try posting a quick review of my first year teaching high school.

IT WAS AWESOME!


http://eastsidehigh.org

I taught at Eastside High School which is a newer school (5 years old or so). It seemed like the students had pride in their school. The campus and classrooms were clean and well mantained. Our classroom had some cool technology... instead of overhead projectors, we had document cameras... same thing but it's a camera so you can put anything under the camera and project it up on the screen. Another thing (super cool) is that we have these cool remote clickers for each student... so I can project questions on the board and then ask the class to click in their answer... and it gives instant feedback on how many got it right/wrong... I can see answers they put and we can discuss why they put that answer. It's very helpful in reviewing material. You can also play a Jeopardy style game with it. You can also creat multiple versions of tests with it... I use it at least once a week.


this is the clicker we had...




this is the clicker we will have next year (students can actually type in answers rather than multiple choice questions only)





I started the year with 180 students... Two were tough but one transfered out. So I had one student that was tough and she ended up not being tough in the end. So I ended the school year with about 170 students and NONE were tough. Of course I had some check out and get Fs... but for the most part... very good students across the board. But then again, I was given Geometry and Algebra II... so I got the sophomores and juniors... much better than freshmen.

Some cool things about being a teacher:

(1) I taught morals & standards to 180 youth almost everyday. They all knew who I was and what I stood for and why. They all knew I was Mormon.

(2) I interacted with several parents and we worked together helping their children do better and stay in line.


(3) I got off work everyday and drove home not needing my headlights on (except for back to school night).

(4) I went from a 4x6 cubicle to a 30x40 personal office

Are you kind of jealous? Ok, here are a couple tougher things:
(1)$$... but I didn't get into teaching for the money
(2) I heard more foul language than I have in the past 10 years combined (this was my #1 rule in my classroom... and my students were really good after the first week)

* by the way... Lancaster is very conservative... saying Christmas in schools is a good normal thing
(3) I had to go to rallies which blasted ridiculous music... but then again, I had to go to team activities that were pretty lame too
(4) I only had to work for 180 days and I'm already on vacation... this isn't on the good side because I opted to teach summer school.

All in all, it's been a wonderful transition. I really do love it as much as I thought I would. I'm so glad I took the leap and made the career change.

~ Mr Dabo

13 comments:

Stephanie said...

Has the world come to an end??? you BLOGGED!!!!!! So glad you had such a great year and that you LOVE what you do!!!! ; ) xoxo see you in a month.. and it's Lia like Leah.. just different spelling!!! : )

Amy said...

Thats awesome Mitch. I think I found out more about your time in Lancaster in this one post than in the entire cruise. So glad you're enjoying your life.

The Headrick Family said...

Awesome...I looked at my blog and wondered Mitch who? J/k so glad your first year went well and that you are enjoying your job! Good to hear from you and hope we can catch up sometime when you guys are here in UT! We would love to see you and the family it's been too long!

J and L said...

Well welcome back!! I am so glad to get an update and to hear that you are doing well!! Congrats on a great school year Mr. Dabo. :) And say hello to Jill for me!

Brown Family! said...

So awesome! I'm glad you love it! And you school is super nice too...so that's on the plus side :) Oh...and you work at the same high school as your wife, which is great as well :)

Mitch said...

Yep Kim... there were too many plusses and I didn't want anyone too jealous. JK.

jamie said...

i'm so glad there are people like you teaching kids. p.s. that comic is hilarious!

Tyler said...

I'm so jealous of so many things on this list. That's great to hear you're having a fun time down there. Ashley and I just hung out with Rob and Natalee yesterday and talked about figuring out a way to get together with you guys gain. Would be fun to see you Jill and the kids.

Angie said...

Well, well, so the summer off provides blogging time for Mr. Dabo, does it? So good to connect with you guys again in one way or another! It sounds like your career change has been in every way a great move. (What a short con list!) Congrats. We miss you guys!

Courtni said...

so glad that you loved it! i am sure you were awesome!

The Pearson's said...

OOOH my goodness! You blogged! People do read it so keep the posts' coming. I loved reading about what you have been up too! Good for you for completing the first yr of teaching HS! Sounds like a great school, great technology, and pretty good students! I bet the students just love you! glad to see you are doing well! Cute pics of the kiddo eating cake too:)

Terri said...

So proud of you Mitch!! We miss you and your family so much!! The kids are absolutely beautiful!!

Anonymous said...

i love youuu , I should never let anyone between us<3333- jill dabo
8=D