Why Only Baseball?

I know most bloggers are women and probably don't care about this... but I'm throwing this out there for your information.


I am truly at a loss of words for what's happening in Baseball right now. First, I don't know how to answer the questions... I'm not about to. But I also don't know why Baseball is the only sport targeted.


I listened to the press conference today with Alex Rodriguez. He admitted to taking performance enhancing drugs between 01-03. I'm sad because I really admire A-Rod and I'm sad he's going to be hated and destroyed by the media.




My question is WHY ONLY BASEBALL? Do you actually think Baseball is the only sport using drugs?


Let's just talk about football:

Lyle Alzedo admitted to taking steroids from 1969-1990. Lyle said, "I started taking anabolic steroids in 1969 and never stopped. It was addicting, mentally addicting... Ninety percent of the athletes I know are on the stuff... I became very violent on the field and off it..." He later died from the stuff. He won all kinds of awards and a super bowl championship... why isn't the media asking for all that to be stripped of him?



Bill Romanowski admitted it. This guy punched a teammate at practice in the eye and the teammate never could play again because his eye sight was never the same. Last year, he coached his son's high school team... and is trying to earn a head coaching pro job. Again, why aren't his statistics and awards being questioned?




And very recently... Shawne Merriman was caught using steroids... He was suspended for 4 games (the rule in the NFL) but that didn't stop him from winning a spot to the Pro Bowl (All Star team). What's up with that? He gets caught but still makes the All Star team.




Where's the "MITCHELL REPORT" for football? Why isn't the media crucifying the other sports and those athletes in those other sports?

* the Mitchell Report came out last year naming names on which ball players were somehow linked to steroids



One last proof - if you go to wikipedia... you can type in "steroids in baseball" and get a full page of stuff. But you type in "steroids in football" or "steroids in basketball or hockey or the olympcis" and you don't get anything! What's up with that?

10 comments:

Amy said...

I think you should create the Steroids in Football or whatnot pages at Wikipedia. Go for it!


Also, I agree that there is definite hypocrisy here. Maybe the other sports have it in for baseball since it is "America's Favorite Pasttime" or "America's Favorite Sport" etc??

Tyler said...

I'm curious. What do you admire A-Rod for? Cheating on his wife? Or taking drugs? Or was it for admitting to taking drugs...after he was called on it? Although, I have to say that I much prefer the A-Rod approach to the Clemens, Bonds approach.

And while we're on the topic of drugs in sports, let's not forget about golf. Where's the Mitchell Report for golf? Jasper Parnevik has got to be on something.

Tyler said...

By the way, I think you make a great point about football. The problem is, everyone assumes most of those guys are taking something. I think with baseball it's more disappointing because people are finding out the sport they love, and thought was better than that...isn't.

The Dabo's said...

I don't really know anything you just said But I do have to say A-Rod is HOT.

jamie said...

i've often wondered, too, why baseball seems to be targeted. is it because rules for steroid use have only just recently been defined/regulated in the sport?

Terri said...

I'm with you 100% Mitch! I understand how you feel about this whole mess with A-Rod! It is unfortunate for him that he had a period of stupidity in his life. But with that being said, we all make mistakes. I too admire him for telling the truth. I think that all sports should have the same rules regarding steroids.

The only thing left to say is....
GO YANKEES!!!! We miss you tons Mitch, Jill, Derek and Taylor!!

Rach said...

Mitch, I answered your question on my blog but I thought I would post it here too. The lens I bought is a Tamron 28-75mm. If I had unlimited funds I would buy the Canon 24-70mm L lens ($1200). It is an unbelievable lens. The Tamron got great reviews especially for a third party lens. Many people say it rivals the Canon and at 1/4th the price, it won me over. So far I am loving it!

thebriggsfamily said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
thebriggsfamily said...

1. Ditto to Tyler. But honestly, were you really surprised when he admitted to taking drugs? I could name you over a hundred baseball players that have done the same thing. And, he hasn't lost any awards or privlidges either. I think the majority of people are just rolling their eyes. Here we go again.
2.Honestly, football is so much more exciting than baseball! in baseball, you can loose 62 games and have a "good game". They probably needed to boost their numbers with publicity. A-Rod is the perfect grade A material for the media!
3. Football is an overall better sport. Let me tell you, those Baseball players must work hard. I mean, really, you can chat with your fans and give them a high five during a play. Now that's tough playing!
4.AlzAdo (not AlzEdo) is dead. Get over it.
5.Romanowski can hit. Baseball players hit like 7 year old girls. No comparison.
6.Merriman....Isn't A-Rod still playing in the World Baseball Classic? (Go Dominicans!) So stop boo hooing.
Love Ya Mitch!
By the way, I think all drug users should be disposed from the game. But honestly, if that happened, who would be left playing?

Linda said...

Thanks for the great post! I agree 100%. I'm with Amy, in thinking you should do a Wikipedia page and bring this hypocrisy to the forefront. I also agree it's probably in the media right now, because it's America's Game...Dang it.